The band I will introduce to all of you this week is an indie-folk band coming all the way from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania called Good Old War. There are three official members to this group including Keith Goodwin, Tim Arnold, and Daniel Schwartz, each name relating to the decision of their band name Good Old War (GOODwin, ArnOLD, and SchWARtz). The band put out its debut album in 2008 called Only Way to Be Alone. This was made possible for Good Old War because of Sargent House Records. Good Old War has been said to radiate warmth and vulnerability through their musical style, of which I totally agree. My brother introduced me to the band about a year ago, and I have to say that when I first hear them, I thought they were just alright. I didn’t think they were anything special. I remember being drawn to two songs and the rest I thought was mediocre, nothing too spectacular. However, one particular night I gave the band another listen while I was doing my homework, (I like to listen to music that I don’t know the words to while I work), and I started to really enjoy them. After a few more listens I can honestly say that Good Old War is one of my favorite bands. And I don’t really understand why! They have such a simple style to their art, but I think that is exactly why I love them so much. I love singing along to the sweet harmonies, and I like listening to the voices that are real and not auto tuned by some machine. I was looking up music videos for Good Old War, and even when I came across the live versions of the songs, the music sounded the same. That is what a talented band should sound like; it shouldn’t matter if the band is live or recorded, the quality of the music should stay the same.
Throughout 2009, Good Old War toured around a bit, hit up some local radio shows, and even sang God Bless America at a hometown Phillies game. And it seems to me that they’re musical career is just getting started. In fact, in June of 2010 Good Old War released another album entitled Good Old War. I didn’t know any of the songs off of this album, but when I was researching the band I definitely was impressed with Good Old War’s style on this newer album. I love how Good Old War just knows who they are as musical artists; they don’t try to be like any of the mainstream artists around today or anybody else. They are always themselves, and it shows in their music. So what are you waiting for? Take a listen; Good Old War will definitely not disappoint. J
This first song “No Time” is one of my favorites. It is one of the more upbeat, faster-paced tracks and can be found on Good Old War’s debut album Only Way to Be Alone. It is about one person who doesn’t understand why his “lover” doesn’t care for him in the same way he cares for her.
The next song I will show you is “That’s Some Dream” from the second album Good Old War. The music is so soothing and peaceful.
I have so many other favorites from this band, so here is the Myspace music page so you can check them out too! Two more of my favorites are “Coney Island” and “Sneaky Louise”.
I hope you enjoy! J
No comments:
Post a Comment