The band I will be introducing to all of you this week is… The Dodos! The Dodos are a band that got started in San Francisco and can be described as an indie rock folk band. Now, I know you all are probably thinking ‘but we just discovered an indie folk band last week…’. Which, we did. But tonight I texted a friend to tell me a good band that I had never heard about, and he texted back “The Dodos!”. So therefore I checked them out, found I liked them, and am now writing about them. J Don’t worry though; I am hoping you will like them too.
Meric Long studied West African Ewe drumming and sought to create a band where the drumming could be the core of the music and help bring out the syncopated rhythms coming out of the acoustic guitar. Long ended up meeting Logan Kroeber randomly through his roommate. The Dodos released their debut album “Beware of the Maniacs” in 2006. Two years later, they released “The Visitor”. Original members Meric Long and Logan Kroeber then teamed up with electric vibraphonist Keaton Snyder to add more depth to the band. These three collaborated with producer Phil Ek on “Time to Die” in 2009. Throughout the years, they have traveled all over on tour.
The first song I am going to let you take a look at is “Fables”. If you look closely at the beginning of the music video, you will see that the band supports the use of duct tape. In the very beginning of the video a frame shows the percussionist putting on a tambourine that is taped to his foot. J This is another quirk of the band’s unique percussion skills; they definitely use their creativity to their advantage.
The next song that I will be showing you is called “Winter”. I think the sound of The Dodos could be described as very… raw. The reason they get this “raw” sound is because on a lot of their albums they record things one time, or record it live. However, this works for them because listeners can relate to them better this way because they definitely do not have auto toned voices or instruments. They are real. I hope you enjoy the song “Winter”.
No comments:
Post a Comment