Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Not Your Regular "Cookie-Cutter" Format...


            The band I will be introducing to you all this week is a band I can’t believe I haven’t written about yet!  The Format has always been one of my favorite musical artists.  The Format started around 2001 with Nate Ruess and Sam Means from Arizona being the creative masterminds behind the music.  The band chose their name to make fun of the music industry for a want of the band to make a cookie-cutter “format” of a hit.  They didn’t want to follow anybody else’s rules; they wanted to make their own music, their way.  Even though they were critiquing the music industry with titling the band this way, their first hit single off of their EP album cleverly titled “The First Single” was a hit in the Southwest.  This success led The Format to sign with Elektra Records in 2002.  Through Elektra Records, the band was able to produce their first major full-length album called “Interventions and Lullabies” in October of 2003.  Sadly, Elektra Records began folding into a merger right as The Format’s album was coming out into stores, and the newly merged label sort of “forgot” about the band within all of the chaos of the merge.   Still, The Format toured North America for about two years and had plans in the back of their minds of making their next album. 
The Format released their next EP album through Atlantic Records (who took in a lot of the bands that Elektra Records left behind) in April of 2005.  This EP album was titled “Snails”.  However, not long after the release of their album “Snails”, The Format was dropped from Atlantic Records.  Due to the frustrating situations that the band had been through while dealing with record labels, The Format recorded and released their next full-length album independently on The Vanity Label.  This is a label that is still managed by the band today.  This full-length album that was recorded and released through The Vanity Label is called “Dog Problems”.  Throughout The Format’s existence, the pair toured and played with a variety of different musicians.  In 2007, the band added four more people to The Format.  These additions consisted of guitarists Mike Schey and Mark Buzard, drummer Adam Boyd, and Don Raymond on bass. 
I think the reason people enjoy The Format so much is because a lot of their songs are summery, feel good types of songs.  Most of their songs have good beats, and make you want to get up and dance around the room, (or even in the car).  I would love to buy one of The Format’s albums and listen to it on a road trip.  Finally being able to find a record label where they could express themselves the way they wanted to, The Format was gaining even more popularity with people throughout the nation.  However to everyone’s great dismay, the band announced they were going on hiatus on February 4, 2008 and that they would not be making another album.  They haven’t been together since.  I think if they wouldn’t have quit they could have gotten really popular, but I guess one could say that they quit while they were ahead.  Their music still circles the youthful scene and can be heard on many people’s musical devices.  If The Format ever decided to get back together, I’m sure they would have many faithful fans following them. J
            The first song I will show you is the “Dog Problems” music video.  This is the clever video that made me remember that I wanted to write a blog about one of my favorite bands The Format.
The next song I will let you all listen to has a very summery/sunshine, get in your car and go type of feel to it.  The song is peppy and makes you want to dance around.  I especially like listening to this song in the car.  This is one of my favorites.  Here’s “Tune Out” by The Format.

So there you have it, they also have a lot of other good songs….  so check ‘em out!

No comments:

Post a Comment