Monday, January 24, 2011

Shhhh... I'm Listening to The Hush Sound!

     The artist I am happy to introduce to you this week is The Hush Sound.  This band consists of Bob Morris on guitar, Mike Leblanc on bass, Darren Wilson with the drums, and Greta Salpeter on the piano.  All four band members help lay down the vocals for many of their different tracks.  They have released a total of three albums since they have been together but sadly, after releasing Goodbye Blues in 2008, The Hush Sound announced they were going on a hiatus.  I know, right?  For all you viewers out there, that is some extremely depressing news!  However, I still think their musical style deserves a fair listen from your ears.  The song I am going to have you check out today is called "We Intertwined".  This song is ironic because at first listen it is a very peppy, happy-go-lucky sounding kind of song.  I definitely feel like getting up and dancing when I hear it!  However, when one takes the time to listen to the lyrics, the song becomes sad.  The artist first explains that in his "dream world" when he is asleep, life is incredible and worthwhile.  Then, the character in the song wakes up and realizes that all of the wonderfulness was just his imagination; it was just a dream.
     I enjoy listening to the Hush Sound because a lot of their songs have hidden stories in the lyrics just like “We Intertwined”.  For example, “Sweet Tangerine” at first listen sounds like a gentleman in the song is politely wishing his lady friend to return to his loving arms.  However, after listening closely and listening to an interview with The Hush Sound, listeners find out that this song is written about a stalker type character who will do anything to be with his “Sweet Tangerine” better half. 
     The Hush Sound puts a creative spin on their records by using jazzy piano riffs from Greta, or even throwing in some peppy trumpet parts like on “We Intertwined”.  My hope is that they sound like nothing you have heard before.  Other favorites of mine include “Wine Red” and “Not Your Concern”.  So what are you waiting for?  Give ‘em a listen!


1 comment: