The next artist that I am going to introduce to you is Family Force Five. This band definitely does not follow anybody else’s “rules” of what people say music is supposed to sound like. Family Force Five is extremely unique, and always tries to make their music sound like one of a kind. The band consists of Solomon "Soul Glow Activatur" Olds, Jacob "Crouton" Olds, Joshua "Fatty" Olds, Nathan "Nadaddy" Currin, and Derek "Chap Stique" Mount. Now, I know what you’re thinking. What kind of band nicknames themselves names like Soul Glow Activatur, Crouton, Fatty, Nadaddy, and Chap Stique? I have to admit, that is exactly what I thought when I first heard of these cool cats. Even after hearing some of their music, I still thought they were a little weird. The thing is, they are so strange and odd that one cannot help but to love them. Listeners love them because they are nonconformists and do not follow the crowd. They are a Christian crunk rock band from Atlanta, Georgia, but have also been described as being rock, hardcore, punk, metal, and even hip hop. Whenever I try to describe their musical style I just say, “They are basically their very own genre”. After listening to them you will hopefully be able to understand what I mean.
Last summer I had the pleasure to see Family Force Five up close and personal at the Christian Sonshine Festival in Wilmar, Minnesota. Having an insane amount of energy and epic stage presence, their concert was amazing. Throughout the whole concert everyone in the crowd were filled with adrenaline and jumped around for Family Force Five. Family Force Five personally see this as praising and worshipping God. They explained how God wants us to move, get crazy, and have fun here on earth (as long as it’s for Him). At one point in the show, they told the crowd to “shake yo’ badonkadonk for Jesus!” However people perceive them, Family Force Five is definitely a force to be reckoned with. They are currently working on a new album, but have not released the date that the album will come out.
So with that, get open-minded, sit back, and get ready to rock! You will learn to love them. I will show you three songs so you can get a feel of what their style is like.
The song “Love Addict” is one of their most popular songs. I put the video on here because it makes me laugh. Their unique style is shown very well through this music video.
This next song that I am going to introduce to you is called "Drama Queen". When listening to this song, it may sound like the singer is angry with a girlfriend type character, but that is not the case. At the Sonshine Festival the band explained that this song was written about how the record label they were working for at the time did not like their style and wanted to change them. Family Force Five of course would not have it and wrote this song to retaliate. Hope you enjoy!
The last song I will show you comes off of the "Family Force Five's Christmas Pageant" album. I love the versions of the Christmas songs that Family Force Five has put together. This song is their version of "Do You Hear What I Hear?". Another favorite of mine on the album is "My Favorite Things", which is a remake from "The Sound of Music" movie musical.
No comments:
Post a Comment